Otherwise known as “Vegan Meetup, Part III.” See the original post below (2/27/10) if you’re confused.
Normally quinoa isn’t my favorite pseudo-grain—there’s just something about the texture that doesn’t do it for me—but I found I really enjoyed this recipe, most likely because of the sweet hints of cinnamon. With the amiable permission of the hostess, here is Nagini’s and her mom’s recipe. They modified this original.
Sweet Vegetable Pilaf with Quinoa
- 1-2 tsp oil
- 1 stick of cinnamon, or a few dashes of ground cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chili’s
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala*
- 3 bay leaves
- a few curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 cup of quinoa (can use rice as an alternative)
- 2 cups of water + water to soak quinoa
- salt to taste
- 1 lb of frozen vegetables
*Can be found in the Indian grocery store.
- Microwave vegetables with a bit of water until cooked.
- Place quinoa in a bowl, cover with water and soak for approximately 10 minutes. When pouring out water, pour through a tea strainer to minimize the loss of quinoa.
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil, and add all the spices with onions. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and salt to pot, and sauté another few minutes.
- Add the quinoa and water, bring to a boil, turn down low, and simmer for 20 minutes. If there is any water remaining, cover pot with a lid, and let the pilaf sit for about 10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Ginger Quinoa Muffins (eatdrinkbetter.com)