Otherwise known as “Vegan Meetup, Part II.” See the original post (2/27/10) if you’re confused.
With the cordial permission of the hostess, here is her cousin’s recipe. Vegetable pilaf with quinoa recipe to follow and also, hopefully, some vegan fudge.
Tomato Saar (Soup)
Source: Nagini’s cousin, Pavani Kaushik
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- pinch of fenugreek seeds
- a few curry leaves (optional)
- 2 – 3 dried red chilies
- pinch of asafetida*
- 3 large tomatoes
- salt to taste
- pinch of turmeric
- red chilli powder (optional – only if you want your soup a bit spicy)
- a pinch of curry powder
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of light coconut milk
- 2-4 tsp raw sugar depending on your taste
- a hand full of cilantro
*Can be found in the Indian grocery store.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot. When hot, add the cumin, coriander powder, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, red chillies, and asafetida.
- Chop 3 tomatoes and add them to the pot.
- Add salt, cover and cook until soft – mash well.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, and curry powder.
- Add tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes.
- Add light coconut milk.
- Add a bit more salt if needed.
- Boil on medium heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro & raw sugar.
- Serve warm.
If you want to thicken the consistency, add 1 tsp corn starch + room temperature water.